Wednesday 21 March 2012

I think people are finally starting to see the light!

Or at least manage to find the COTH message boards when they google "horse care" and such.

I've been riding at an adorable little lesson barn in Florida this past month, as I've been here working. This morning as I was untacking a new student and her mother showed up. I overheard the following conversation with the BO:

"We were wanting to get (daughter) her own horse, but after doing a bunch of research on the internet I decided we have NO idea what we're doing - so I want (daughter) to take at least a year of lessons first before we go out an buy her a horse. Before doing the research we were thinking we should get her a young horse - which I now know was totally the oposite, and we also have a lot of work that needs to be done to the property to get it ready, so a year will give us time to replace the fence and build a shelter."

I wanted to run over and give this woman a huge hug. These are responcible horse owners in the making, and I hope to see more and more like her!

Little bit about the new place by the way - total diamond in the rough for me. It's a small and reasonably new facility, they just opened about 9 months ago. The BO is somewhat inexperienced but responcible young lady, that has pulled together some ex-trail horses to teach beginner lessons on.

The little mare I chose is a 14.2 hand crabby paint that spent too many years in a trail string, but with a little persistence she's got some nice work in her. She bucks, and is nappy but in a controlable way, so this is giving me valueable time just riding through bad behavior without getting scared or panicky. Here is what miss Ellie looks like :)




I've got another 2 weeks with her - I'm hoping to leave her with a few more basics that will help this lady with her lesson program.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, she's a real cutie! Sounds like you've got a fun way to keep fit while you're away. Nothing like a naughty pony to work those muscles.

    ReplyDelete