Monday 23 May 2011

Groundwork 101

Heather came to my rescue today, and now Felix wears tack, has started long lining, and leads reasonably well.  There was little reaction to the saddle - with only a little confusion about the girth being tightened.  Bridle was also not a big problem. He's not thrilled, but not bad either.  He got pretty mad with the long lining but by the end he was starting to submit - but we were kicked out of the arena for a lesson, so we just worked on leading and stopping for another half hour or so.

I'm getting my confidence back, which is good.  Felix was bought right around 1 year after I sold my last horse, Dottie. She and I were not a good match really, so I've been more or less out of the tack for close to 1 1/2 years.

Also, the barn owner had a chance to take a crack at his feet being trimmed.  Only his fronts are done, and they are a little long, but it is progress none the less.  He was bad with the backs, I'll have to work on this.

As it turns out, I have a week or so at home to work with him, not just the 2 days I had planned.  With Heather's help we'll have him going well in no time.

Shauna was out today, and so there are finally another batch of pictures. They are somewhat blurry, but you get the idea! (that's Heather on the long lines, me in the purple sweater).



No comments:

Post a Comment